Sunday, February 28, 2010

Last of the Lilies



I decide to go to the garden today after dinner. Usually I go early in the morning to catch the first light but today I am in the mood for something different.

I enter through the gates that lead onto the main exhibition garden. It borders the Botanical Gardens restaurant and there is a jazz band playing on the terrasse.
**
jazz band
on the terrasse
I admire
trumpet
lilies



This summer I decided to join eharmony and one of the men I'm corresponding with has an unusual hobby.

a rumba beat
drifts across the garden--
remembering
that air force captain
who's mad about tap dancing

I guess tap dancing is his way of grounding himself.



After a decade of focussing solely on my son, I'm ready to think about a relationship again.

alone on a bench
by the lilies
I watch couples
young and old
passing by


Of course, when you aren't part of a couple it's easy to idealize what having a relationship is all about.

such perfection
these Asiatic lilies
could be plastic--
the way happiness looks
from the outside


I sit by the lilies
in the summer dusk
still wondering
why success of any sort
eludes me

It's good to spend time in a garden, because even if you're alone it's hard not to be carried away by the beauty all around you. Lilies are especially lovely and I'd forgotten how profusely fragrant they are.

shifting priorities--
the scent of these
lilies
much more
than I imagined


These are the last of this year's lilies, so I'm appreciating them while I can.
**
two boys and a girl
taking photos
by the reflecting pool--
youth is a lily
fragrant and bright

*
a young girl
balances on the edge
of the reflecting pool--
that was once me
unafraid of taking risks
**
(This post was originally written on July 26th, 2009).






No comments: